Dr. Eng. Yannis Maniatis is a Rural and Surveying Engineer (National Technical University of Athens). He is an Assoc. Professor at University of Piraeus since 2002 and a Visiting Professor at the Institute of Economic Geography of University of Bonn (1995).
Political and Social activity
Dr. Maniatis was elected as a Member of the Greek Parliament for the prefecture of Argolida for the Panhellenic Socialist Movement (PASOK) for the first time in the 2004 elections and re-elected in 2007, 2009, May 2012, June 2012 and September 2015 elections.
He has been:
- Minister of Environment, Energy and Climate Change (25.6.2013-26.01.2015)
- Secretary of PASOK Parliamentary Group (05.7.2012-25.6.2013)
- Deputy Minister of Environment, Energy and Climate Change (2009 -2012)
- Secretary General of the Ministry of Transport and Communications (1998 -2001)
- Chairman of the Athens Urban Transport Organisation (OASA) (2001 -2002)
- Chairman of the Postal Savings Bank (1998 -2000)
Main academic fields include: Geographic Information Systems (G.I.S.), Energy and Transportation Policies and Systems, Environmental Management and Monitoring, Innovation Management and Digital Entrepreneurship.
Dr. Maniatis has participated with more than two hundred (200) scientific papers and lectures in international congresses and scientific magazines.
He is the author of the following books:
1. “Structural Reforms and Progressive Patriotism” (PAPAZISIS Eds, 2016)
2. “Energy and Natural Resources: National Pillars for Development” (A.A.LIVANIS Eds, 2012)
3. “The Challenge of Green Development” (Α.A.LIVANIS Eds, 2009)
4. “Geographic Information Systems and Environmental Monitoring” (ZITI Eds, 1995)